Lightning Causes House Fire
In an article posted by Insurance Information Institute , they shared some shocking information on lightning-related incidents.SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North has already dealt with lightning related house fires in 2018.
"From 2007 to 2011 (latest data available) local U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 22,600 fires per year that were started by lighting, according to an analysis by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These fires caused an average of nine civilian deaths and $451 million in direct property damage per year, according to the NFPA. Home fires accounted for 19 percent of the lightning fires, fires in non-residential structures, including businesses and other non-residential properties, accounted for 7 percent; vehicle fires accounted for 1 percent. The remaining 73 percent were in outdoor and unclassified properties."
Hoarding and Mold
While hoarding or "abnormal collecting of items and trash" is more common than any of us know, abandoned rentals and homes we come across often in Tuscaloosa. These forgotten residences tend to have abnormal amounts of debris and personal items left behind.
"Hoarding is a behavior where people or animals accumulate food or other items." Wikipedia
In the collection of these items (paper wrappings from food, shopping etc) the build-up can attract "friends" such as bugs, rodents, and other vermin. In return, their food and wastes are also collected in the process. This collection of items will provide a food source for mold growth as well. A building's environment is not controlled, the perfect conditions can be generated to allow excessive mold spores in the air and create growth on one of the many surfaces in these homes. SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North has the experience in both dealing with the sensitivities of a hoarding family member and mold remediation. Call us for all your remediation needs.
Water Damage from Vandalism
Many towns, especially college towns, vandalism can be a common occurrence.
You will see victories for sports events turn into borderline street raids and some businesses and homes can fall victim to these out of control instances. Many vandals will merely cause surface damages with wall art or a few broken windows.
Some instances, the damage goes deeper and can cause water damages from broken piping or even small fires.
If your Tuscaloosa home suffers a loss from a vandal, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North for all your restoration needs. From board up, cleaning and most importantly water damage restoration, SERVPRO can become your one stop shop for your remediation needs. Our crews are IICRC trained and can handle sensitive situations.
Wood Fungus vs Wood Mold in a Crawlspace
SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North comes across instances where a substance is found in the crawlspace and the big question is always is it a fungus or is it mold.
"Fungus is the cause of dry rot, which is one of the most serious defects that wood can develop. The fungus grows by consuming wood fiber, and the wood becomes soft and punky. " Homeguide Source
"Molds are fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more. Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions, and spread and reproduce by making spores. Mold spores can survive harsh environmental conditions, such as dry conditions, that do not support normal mold growth." CDC Source
Fires from Cooking
- Protein fires generally leave little to no visible residue which can be confusing to homeowners
- Protein fires create a significantly more repugnant smell than most other fires
- The nature of the burn causes the odor to permeate structure and furniture even more than other fires and hold on to porous materials with a stronger bond
- Therefore, protein fires require extremely thorough cleaning to remove the odor
- Sometimes a protein fire will require a sealing agent or even repainting to completely eradicate the odor
- A protein fire may require multiple attempts and different methods to achieve customer satisfaction from the homeowner
SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North is your local Fire Restoration team. Call for a complete soot test or deodorization quote if your cooking fire gets a little out of hand.
Common Homeowner's Claims
Per the Insurance Journal (2016) the 5 most common homeowner claims:
- Exterior wind damage – 25 percent of all losses.
- Non-weather-related water damage (e.g., plumbing or appliance issues) – 19 percent.
- Hail – 15 percent.
- Weather-related water damage (e.g., rain, melting ice, snow) – 11 percent.
- Theft – 6 percent.
SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North sees damages from HVAC and overflowing toilets quiet often within our community.
About one in fifty insured homes have a property damage claim caused by water damage or freezing each year. (Insurance Information Institute, 2012-2016)
Our First Responders are trained and use a program that aligns with insurance adjusters that can guide on the cost of a claim. Call SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North before filing your claim so that we can determine if the loss is worth filing a claim against your insurance.
Tornado Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa north offers packing and inventory of belongings after damages such as Tornadoes. Our crews have participated in the April 27th tornado in Tuscaloosa County and in other small storm events.
Facts on Tornadoes in Alabama
- Alabama resides in the United States’ most deadly tornado area—the Dixie Alley.
- Researchers are becoming increasingly aware of how dangerous and deadly tornadoes in the Deep South/ Gulf Coast states can be.
- Huntsville, Alabama was been rated the top tornado city in 2013.
- Birmingham, Alabama was been rated the third top tornado city in 2013.
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama was been rated the fourth tornado city in 2013.
- Suffering from Lilapsophobia? You do if you’re afraid of tornadoes!
- Alabama’s annual number of tornadoes is 44 tornadoes.
- The University of Alabama created a tornado factsheet that cited Tuscaloosa as having a second tornado season from November to early December.
- Tornadoes usually happen during the late afternoon into late evening, but can happen anytime.
- The average tornado lasts less than ten minutes.
Fourth of July Fire Facts
How often do you think about Fourth of July Celebrations causing fires in Tuscaloosa? See a report from National Fire Protection Association in 2016 below:
- In 2013, fireworks caused an estimated 15,600 reported fires in the U.S., including 1,400 structure fires, 200 vehicle fires, and 14,000 outside and other fires.
- More than one-quarter (28%) of fires started by fireworks in 2009-2013 were reported on Independence Day. Almost half (47%) of the reported fires on the Fourth of July were started by fireworks.
- According to the CPSC, more than one-third (35%) of the people seen in emergency rooms for fireworks injuries from June 20-July 20, 2014 were under 15; nine percent were under five.
- CPSC data show that sparklers alone accounted for more than one one-quarter (28%) of the emergency room fireworks injuries seen from June 20-July 20, 2014.
Remember use safety precautions when playing with fireworks and if something does happen to your home Fire or Water related this Fourth of July, call SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North to help get your home back in order.
Pin Hole Leaks
According to repairmyleak.com, there are a couple forms of corrosion in copper pipes, but pitting corrosion is most likely to culminate in pinhole leaks in plumbing systems made of copper.
"Pitting corrosion is the non-uniform localized attack of the wall of a copper tube, pipe, or fittings initiated on the inside surface of copper water pipes. Usually, only small areas of the metal surface are attacked.
Pitting corrosion can be classified into three types:
cause: Hard Water
Type I pitting is associated with hard or moderately hard waters with a pH between 7 and 7.8, and it is most likely to occur in cold water. The pitting is deep and narrow, and results in pipe failure.
cause: Soft Water
Type II pitting occurs only in certain soft waters, with a pH below 7.2 and occurs rarely in temperatures below 140° F. The pitting that occurs is narrower than in Type I, but still results in pipe failure.
cause: Cold, Soft Water High PH
Type III pitting occurs in cold soft waters having a pH above 8.0. It is a more generalized form of pitting, which tends to be wide and shallow and results in blue water, byproduct releases, or pipe blockage."
Call SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North if your commercial building suffers from a pinhole leak.
There are many cases where Tuscaloosa will have wind storms, severe rainstorms and sometimes hail storms. A homeowner may not see immediate damage to their property, but that storm can cause small holes and create long-term leaks that the homeowner does not find until the damage has spread severely. There are other times where storms cause massive damage to a roof and cause immediate flooding of the home. Neither damage is preferred, but the immediate can prevent secondary damages such as microbial growth. SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North has had their own reconstruction division for a little over a year. We are experienced and capable of large and small loss insurance claims and being able to handle them from start to finish. This makes it easier for homeowners and speeds up the claim process which also benefits your insurance company. Call SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa North today for any storm, fire, water or mold damages! 205-339-5022